Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay was established in 1958 and the Civil
Engineering Department is part of the institute since its inception.
The Department has grown tremendously over the years and is now recognized as
one of the major engineering departments in the country.
The department has developed strong links with the building and construction
industry and academic and research , both with in and outside the country.
Besides high quality teaching and instruction at both UG and PG levels, the
Department is actively involved in basic and applied research and consultancy
and provides high quality technical advisory support through various R D
projects and consultancy to various organizations.
The Department of Civil Engineering with its multifaceted faculty continues to
maintain and cultivate its strong links with the infrastructural industry and
academic and research institutions both within and outside the country.
The Department has excellent facilities for carrying out teaching, research and
consultancy activities in various disciplines of Civil Engineering.
Some important facilities in the Department are:
Structural Engineering Laboratories
- Experimental Mechanics Laboratory
- Heavy Structures Laboratory
- Structural Safety, Risk and Reliability Laboratory
- Structural Health Monitoring & Retrofitting Laboratory
- Structural Nano & Bio Mechanics Laboratory
- Disaster Risk Mitigation Laboratory
Remote Sensing Laboratories
- Surveying Engineering Laboratory
- Photogrammetry Laboratory
- Advanced Engineering Surveying Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratories
- Advance & Dynamic Soil Testing Laboratory
- Advanced Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- Environmental Geotechnology Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering Laboratory
- National Geotechnical Centrifuge Facility
Water Resources Engineering Laboratory
Transportation Systems Engineering Laboratories
- Fluid Mechnaics Laboratory
- Hydraulics Laboratory
- Highway Material Testing Laboratory
- Traffic Engineering Laboratory
- Advanced Pavement Engineering Laboratory
- Ocean Engineering Laboratories
- Ocean Engineering Laboratory
Construction Technology and Management Laboratories
- Structural Evaluation and Materials Technologies Laboratory
- Material Characterisation Laboratory
- Departmental Computational Laboratory
Structural dynamics and earthquake engineering; Nonlinear dynamic analysis;
Non-classically damped systems; Stochastic earthquake analysis; Wind induced
vibrations; Seismic hazard assessment; Vibration control; Base isolation for
earthquake-resistant design; Performance based seismic design; Inelastic design
of steel and concrete structures; Reliability of structures; Earthquake
vulnerability and service life evaluation of structures and facilities; Repair,
rehabilitation and retrofitting of structures; Development and design of
energy-absorbing and base-isolating devices.
Structural health/condition monitoring; Damage detection in structures; Wave
propagation and scattering in structures; Application of artificial neural
Finite element analysis; Computational mechanics; Parallel computing for
computational mechanics; Nonlinear dynamics; Structural stability and control;
Advanced materials; Concrete technology; Composite/hybrid structures;
Fiber-reinforced polymers and fiber-reinforced concrete; Smart structures.
Design of nuclear containment structures; Design against impact loading; Design
of cold-formed steel structures; Computer aided design.
Centrifuge modelling; In-situ and laboratory engineering properties of soil; Numerical and physical modelling in geotechniques; Geomaterial and porous media characterization.
Environmental geotechnology; Industrial waste disposal and utilization.
Earthquake geotechnical engineering; Soil-structure interaction problems; Foundation engineering. Numerical modelling of foundation and retaining structures.
Soil reinforcements; Slope stabilization; Rock slopes and rock joints; Ground improvement.
Digital image processing: Digital terrain modelling; GIS applications to landslides.
Geosynthetic-reinforced soil structures; Engineering application of geosynthetics.
Water Resources Engineering
Groundwater systems planning and management; Groundwater pollution investigation; Aquifer remediation strategies; Inverse modeling of the aquifers; Coastal aquifer hydrodynamics modeling.
Computational fluid dynamics; Coastal hydrodynamics; Watershed management; Application of numerical methods.
Urban drainage/storm water management; Sedimentation in channels and rivers; Urban water infrastructure management; Hydrologic disaster management.
Diffusion of jets and plumes; Multiple diffusers; Off-shore pipelines; Scour problems and cooling water structures.
Remote Sensing and Photogrammetric Engineering
Global positioning system; Geographic information system, Space geodesy; Remote sensing; Surveying.
Remote sensing applications to water resources; Runoff modelling of watersheds; Optimization of water distribution systems.
Transportation Systems Engineering
Traffic analysis and design; Modelling and design of mass transit; Urban land use transportation; Road safety and traffic congestion.
Traffic flow modeling and simulation; Traffic flow theory and capacity analysis;
Travel demand modelling and forecasting; behavioural travel modeling.
Application of ANNs, fuzzy systems, GAs and GIS in urban transportation planning;
Transportation network optimization, Rural road network planning; GIS applications. Control and management; Environmental, economical, financial impact assessment.
Coastal, port and harbor engineering; wave hydrodynamics, coastal, marine and offshore structures, wave-structure interaction, coastal erosion and mitigation measures, physical and numerical modeling of coastal/ocean dynamics.
Design of port/harbor and offshore structures, design of coastal protection and waterfront structures.
Tidal, estuarine and bay hydrodynamics, sediment transport, harbor agitation/layout/planning.
Application of neural networks and soft computing for ocean engineering related problems.
Construction Technology and Management
Construction materials, Concrete technology, mineral and chemical admixtures, rheology and particle packing of cement based materials, Alkali activation, geopolymerisation, Mineral carbonation, Industrial residue valorization, sustainable construction materials.
Construction Management, Infrastructure Project Management, Modelling flexibility and resilience in infrastructure contracts, Building Information Modelling, Machine learning enabled construction safety management.
Sponsored Research Projects
A large number of sponsored research projects are carried out by the faculty in the various specializations of the Department. Some of the major funding agencies include the Department of Science & Technology, (DST) and Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India, Centre for Advanced Computing (CDAC), National Science Foundation (NSF), USA, State Governments and industries. Some of recent projects are:
- Development of Numerical Models for the Prediction of Hydrodynamics and Transportation Estuary Channels
- Integrated Watershed Modeling Using IRS Data and Geographical Information Systems
- Interactive software for Vaigai reservoir operation with Inflow prediction using ANN
- Artificial Neural Network model to assess the water Loss/gain in a run-off river system
- Real time wave forecasting using soft computing tools
- Projection of deep water satellite data of waves and wind to shallow water using ANN
- In-filling of gaps in the wave height time series using soft computing tools
- GPS Studies for Crustal Deformations in W.Maharashtra & Konkan
- Microbiologically Induced Calcite Precipitation in Mortar and Concrete Under Indian Conditions
- Health Monitoring and Retrofitting of buildings
- Application of Fibre Reinforced Composites in Civil Engineering
- Design and Characterization of Composite Materials with Graded Interfaces
- Displacement-based earth pressures under seismic conditions
- Characterization of soft clays for road and infrastructure development projects
- Centrifuge model studies on pile stabilized slopes
A large number of consultancy projects in various disciplines are undertaken by the faculty. Each year about 250 consultancy projects worth about Rs.40 Million are undertaken. A few of the recent projects are:
- Technical Advice on Repair and Strengthening of ONGC buildings - Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd
- Health monitoring of railway bridges due to increase in axle loads on iron-ore routes - Pixel Networks
- Hydraulic model studies for Bhima Lift Irrigation project, - Patel Engineering Ltd, Hyderabad
- Design of roadside drainage systems - MMRDA
- Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Ridership and Revenue Forecast - Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
- Subsidence studies using GPS - NIKO Resources Ltd.
- Characterization of Solid Waste - Coca-Cola India